Saturday, March 11, 2006

...Sure signs of spring


One sure sign of spring is when the Mr. comes in sporting his infamous first Daffodil declaring the season. It's always a surprise to my non-suspecting eye, I'm sure his mom misses this about him because I know its a well grained trait.
Hummmm, the meaning of the flower Daffodil is chivalry.
( Qualities of the ideal knight)
It is the simple things in life we must appreciate.

Foxglove (meaning insincerity)
Digitalis purpurea L.
Now this is a beautiful flower that most people try to kill here in the Northwest, Mostly because its allowed to be so prolific in our mild seasons. However, I can tell you that I do my part at letting this happen. Being careful not to spray or mow over the soley because I find them beautiful. They are known to be poisonous and this is the original derivative for Digitalis.

Habitat.—Originally introduced into this country from Europe as an ornamental garden plant, foxglove may now be found wild in a few localities in parts of Oregon, Washington, and West Virginia, having escaped from cultivation and assumed the character of a weed. It occurs along roads and fence rows, in small cleared places, and on the borders of timberland.

Description.—During the first year of its growth the foxglove produces only a dense rosette of leaves, but in the second season it produces a tall, leafy flowering stalk from 3 to 4 feet high. The leaves, which are from 4 to 12 inches long and about twice as wide, are wrinkled, downy, and show a thick network of prominent veins. In early summer the tall flower stalk produces numerous tubular, bell-shaped flowers which are about 2 inches long and which vary in color from white through lavender and purple.

....Just a few of my favorites this time of year.

3 Left A Love Note :):

Jeannie said...

I love Foxglove as well tho it is anything but a weed here. I have none in my garden but the odd neighbor does. I remember when I was layin out the garden,I was considering it but in my less than patient state of mind, passed it over because of it not blooming until the second year. I'm amazed that you already have daffodils but then, your climate is different - you are indeed fortunate - I think we've got to wait at least until May altho it is very springy out there right now and things could pop up early - hopefully not too soon because if we get another cold snap, which is likely, they could all die back. :(

Pirate said...

it won't be long before the rabbit tosses his eggs.

Marianne said...

OOOhhh, I love dafodils. But the tulip is by far my most favorite! And I just can't seem to grow them...ever! What finiky flower.