Monday, September 25, 2006

A Memorial and a memory of an aquaintance...


My Mr. and Cousin Dale
9/11/04 at Cousin Gary's Wedding.

My weekend was rather solemn, A memorial service for a man that was in his prime, Whom was also the Mr.'s cousin. It was sad, No time to say good bye or thank you or even I'm sorry. It's always the hardest on the family when it happens that way.The pastor officiating the service was comforting and made you think, He said Dale had been revived twice after the initial accident and had time to make the choice of being saved or not.Hmmmm, Given the family he was raised in I'm sure that was already chosen many years prior and he just tried to stay within the boundaries. His sisters made their touching remembrances to him, one standing and singing Amazing Grace in her own rendition, Another by writing a most touching letter. I loved a part of the letter where she said he would sing to her and the song was "Kristi don't lose that number" and how it was years before she knew it was "Rikki don't lose that number".

Dale had been quite the prankster and loved poking fun at people he liked, loved hunting and fishing and taking in stray animals. I personally only met him once. I recently found out that he saved the Mr.s life twice, Once when he was about 6 at the river, The Mr. didn't know how to swim and Dale seen him one minute and was jerking him up by the hair the next. The next time was quite a bit later in life and the brakes failed on an old International pickup truck going down a winding mountain road. The Mr. being young and inexperienced at the time froze with fear, Dale seen this and hurried and jammed the gear shift into 1st gear and turned the engine off. They stopped with no more than mere inches of going off the cliff.

The Mr. never got to repay him for this but maybe in some small way he gave back and just didn't realize it, And I am so appreciative that he was there for him then. I know the Mr. must have touched his life in some way too but that's the thing about life, Sometimes we just never know why we were put here and what was our true purpose until it's been completed and our time is done. RIP Dale 9/15/06

Now, Sunday was an equally thought provoking day for me. I went to the grocery store like I do a lot and upon getting close entering the store I recognized a woman but couldn't recall her name standing at the opposite entrance and I waved slightly because I'm friendly. She looked at me and turned away. Then all of a sudden I see her bend down and start picking up cigarette snipes from the ashtray, you know already smoked ones, Then I see she had this huge rip in her blouse and half her side was hanging out with the side of the breast included.

She was hanging out and smoking OP's. I was incredibly stunned and could hardly think of anything else all the way thru the store, Thinking what the hell happened to her? She used to be a friend of a friend and I knew she drank beer because I'd see her in the tavern once in a while when we went to play pool. But she was clean and personable and put together nicely. She was no barfly.My guess is that it has to be more than beer now, I did look for her on the way out and was going to slip her a 20 dollar bill with hopes that it would help in some small way but she was gone. My heart was saddened by this shock and I still can't get it out of my mind. I guess we are all given choices and some choose to go it alone. I hope that she finds her way back. I'll say a prayer for her.

It's the pits to be so shocked by something that you don't know how to react, I think I realized that I think before I act. I don't know if that's how that should have been handled or not or what this makes me but I'm...still in shock. and I feel bad.

0 Left A Love Note :):