Friday, December 15, 2006

Christmas was never so fun ...



Through some of my surfing lately I have found it to be saddening and disheartening that parents feel the Magical fantasy of Santa should not be passed onto their own children.

The little girl inside of me is screaming ((((NO)))), and thinking how unfair to not give to your children something so great as the feeling that you want to stay awake all night just to get a glimpse of him, Or wanting to see Santa for just one little conversation just before Christmas because he was the only one that would understand and get you what you wanted (maybe), Or sitting down and writing a letter to the man in the red suit asking for something for yourself but also for the other kids too and actually mailing it. Or leaving your plate of cookies out for Santa and a few carrots also for the reindeers.
Getting up the next morning to only crumbs and an empty glass of milk thinking he surely liked his treat and your thinking finally you did something just for him (Beaming with Pride)
Then you couldn't wait to open presents.

Watching every Santa show to beckon the television and not missing one minute of Rudolph or Frosty, And afterward laying in your bed thinking Christmas is the best and off to sleep you'd go.

If you just once seen the pure glee in a childs eyes when he got up Christmas morning and seen the presents under the tree that weren't there the night before and seen the excitement of them running to get the others, you'd know just where I'm coming from. To me its a right of passage to be passed on and on.

Yes, I know this is about the day Jesus was born, And in no way would I even try to slight this meaning of the day. We always recognized the day with some meaningful way or another by doing something really nice for less fortunate, But most of the time we were the less fortunate, unfortunately. He I'm sure likes his birthday to be joyful too and what better way than to "Give of yourself".

For me as a child, Christmas was the most magical day of the year and Santa was a big part of it. Our family believed in Santa, As we got older we even perpetuated it in other children's hearts anyone who would listen, I would tell stories of Santa and see the little kids with their hands under their chins, just captivated by how this all works.
I still think that this is a part of childhood no child should be without. It made rich and warm memories and children soon enough find their own belief and face enough harsh realities. How fun to have just those few short years to play with them and recapture a little of your youth.

I remember the Christmas eves and all the lengths I'd go to just to keep mine believing, like letters from Santa in all curly letters, making mention of things the kids did good this year and also remarking on things like the cleaning of their rooms and how he'd like that to improve.

I remember the youngest, #2 son saying with a shocked look on his face "How'd he know about that?" All of that was priceless. Sometimes the putting together of the unassembled toys went on until early into the wee morning hours due to missing parts or just being rummy from no sleep missing and a step and all we could think of was how much they'd like it, then when they woke up it was magic and it was all worth it.

I always could get them to clean their rooms on the days before Christmas and if there was any whining I just said "Santa's watching to see who's Naughty and Who's nice" or "you better watch out and you better not cry" and off they'd run lickety split. Now that was leverage! It works for a good 3 weeks before Christmas.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you is I enjoyed Santa as much as my kids and if I had it to do again I'd do it the same way all over again. Without a Doubt.

To me there was no lie, I had Santa in my heart and shared the happiness for as long as it lasted, The same goes for the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

I still Believe in Santa...Even if it's only through the goodwill of others, afterall he's Magical.

3 Left A Love Note :):

Jeannie said...

Obviously, people went to a lot of effort to convince you Santa was real and you carried it on - having fun with it. I was heartbroken when I found out there was no Santa although there had never been a huge amount of fuss made. I never posted a letter. We didn't set out cookies etc. We had no chimney either. The religion part was irrelevent.
Santa also left better and more gifts at my friend's house than mine. And not as much at another's.
Christmas was still quite magical for our kids even without a "real" Santa. The best presents weren't set out until midnight when "Santa" visited. My kids believed when they were very little but my oldest had thought it all out logically for months and asked all the hard questions with extreme skepticism until he finally asked straight out, wanting to know the truth. I would have lost his respect if I had not been honest with him. He's just that kind of kid. Interestingly, he has had no trouble believing in God. Santa was just a part of kid's make believe along with elves, fairies, sorcerors and the like. Fun but not real.

Marianne said...

I love this post Sweeti! And I have loved every moment of Mollie's wander and joy in the idea of Santa.

And I still have never told her the truth. Although, her father and I both think she knows. I mean, she's 10 and in the fifth grade.

I think now she enjoys the silliness her father and I engage in each year...trying to keep the magic alive for her. I think she only let's us believe that she believes....just to humor us.

Sweetilicious said...

Jeannie, I think you did right by your son and his beliefs and I do approach the Santa thing differently with each child. my oldest, My daughter was also broken hearted, although I think she actually knew also. I was the one pressured into spilling due to the kids teasing her at school and it actually causing a fight.
She still cherishes every moment of her childhood with him in it. The Christmas spirit is alive and well with her.

Marianne, I'm sure Mollie is just like mine were. Having fun in the magic. I'm Warmed inside thinking of your family traditions too. Play along as long as you can.