Monday, July 09, 2007

It's National Farriers Week



First of all let me tell you I edited in MS word and for some reason it capitalized my post so I'm not screaming at you it's the programs fault and thats my story.
I'M DRIVING DOWN THE SCENIC BACK ROADS TODAY GOING HOME AND THE RADIO BROADCASTER SAYS "HAPPY FARRIERS WEEK," NOW I THINK HOLY CRAP ANOTHER HOLIDAY ONLY THIS TIME IT PERTAINS TO THE MR.S OCCUPATION. WOOHOO! ITS TIME TO CELEBRATE. MAYBE NEXT YEAR WE'LL HAVE TO MAKE THIS OUR VACATION WEEK.

MANY OF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HARD THIS JOB IS REALLY, YOU GO TO WORK IN THE MORNING AND WORK YOUR GUTS OUT ALL DAY HOLDING UP A HORSE THAT WANTS TO LEAN ON YOU OR KICK OR BITE YOU.
SO YOU SWEAT OR FREEZE DEPENDING ON THE WEATHER FROM MORNING TO NIGHT FOR AN HONEST DAYS PAY. THIS IS ONLY THE PHYSICAL PART NOW COMES THE MENTAL PART; EVERY HORSE YOU SEE IS DIFFERENT.
SOME HAVE HOOF PROBLEMS, SOME ARE SCARED, SOME HAVE PEOPLE THAT OVER FEED, SOME ARE SPOILED ROTTEN WITH NO MANNERS AND ARE JUST PLAIN OUT TO GET YOU, SOME HAVE GENETICS GOING AGAINST THEM. THEN THERE ARE THE FEW THAT JUST NEED THEIR FEET MANICURED AND SHOES RESET. YOU MAKE THE CALL WHICH IT IS ON THAT GIVEN DAY.

IT'S MENTAL BECAUSE YOU MAKE DECISIONS TO BENEFIT THE HORSE FOR SOUNDNESS AND AT THE SAME TIME TRY TO HELP THE RIDER WITH MANIPULATIONS THAT ARE PLEASING AND HELPFUL.
ALL THIS TAKES YEARS OF SCHOOLING AND ON THE JOB EXPERIENCE AND LEARNING THAT NEVER ENDS; GOOD FARRIERS ALWAYS DO CLINICS FOR MORE AND NEW INFO.

WHEN THE MR. WAS DOING HIS SCHOOLING YEARS AGO IT WAS LESS THAN 1% MADE CORRECTIVE SHOEING OR JUST SHOEING HORSES THEIR CAREER. NOW THAT'S NOT GREAT ODDS OF GETTING A FARRIER OUT OF A BUNCH OF GUYS AND GALS THAT DO THIS TYPE OF SCHOOLING IN THE SCIENCE OF FARRIERY. MY GUESS IS THAT HASN'T CHANGED, IT'S CHALLENGING BUT REWARDING IF YOU'RE GOOD.

NOW THE HOLIDAY SHOULD INCLUDE A DAY IN THERE FOR THE MRS. ALSO, BECAUSE I'LL BET FOR THE MOST PART WE ARE THE DRIVING FORCE THAT GETS YOUR FARRIER TO YOUR BARN ON TIME MOST OF THE TIME, WE SCHEDULE, DO CUSTOMER RELATIONS, WE COLLECT OVER DUES, WE WASH STINKY CLOTHES AND I MEAN STINKY! ...AND WE LOVE THEM EVEN IF THEY SMELL LIKE BURNT HORSE HOOVES...AND ARE THE SACRIFICIAL LAMBS AT HORSE SHOW SEASON; HORSE EMERGENCIES TAKE PRECEDENCE SOMETIMES TO OUR PLANS.

IF YOU'VE GOT A HORSE SHOER AKA FARRIER THIS IS THE WEEK TELL HIM YOU APPRECIATE HIM.

6 Left A Love Note :):

Hammer said...

I passed by a farrier school on IH 35 while driving through Oklahoma.

I was wondering what the profession entailed. Thanks for the insight.

Jeannie said...

I have the utmost respect for anyone willing to do what's necessary with those animals. Some of them are just ornery.

Had no idea they had a whole special week but what does that mean anyway?

Sweeti said...

I think it's just a way to honor men and women that have carried on the thousands of years old tradition, shoot it's probably been around as long as prostitution. hehe

I think it was originally designed to bring about recognition and comunication between the shoer and the customer, Which is needed input from both to see that the horse get what he or she needs as far as shoeing.
I thought of a good gift idea for most shoers, a good bottle of fly spray would be appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I sure appreciate my farrier. Also, love Sweeeti's Ramblings.

Happy Birthday, Mr.

Steve G said...

Sounds like a tough, but rewarding job. Happy Birthday to the man.

Sweeti said...

Thank you to my anonymous reader, Your very much appreciated too