Monday, January 21, 2008

Waffle-ing Norwegian style

Once again I'm thinking of things people are remembered for. No not people that are famous, but people that are everyday people like you and I. What would you be remembered for after you've gone? Would it be the tea that you sipped with your daughter that morning, something just as simple as that? Or the things you do like animal rescue,foster parenting, how you catered to a certain loved one, or how mad you get when teased, or the nice way you take time for those who need you.

I found myself in my kitchen with a hankering for something I hadn't made for ages, Really since my kids had grown. I'm making Norwegian waffles AKA Norwegian pancakes. These were treats to my kids and their friends when they were growing up. They were to me as a kid too, only we didn't have the waffle iron to make waffles so we made them as pancakes.

We snacked on them whenever we could have them. They were sweet, chewy, and you always needed a glass of milk to wash them down.

But they were satisfying, had a flavor like no others and were hearty not just all fluff. good enough to be eaten plain. No kidding. I still can see my kids with their little mitts filled with waffles and sneaking back in for more swearing they only had one or two when all the while I knew they had three or four.

All of a sudden, I'm brought back to the present and I think of my mom during the making of this traditional favorite. Then my heart saddens some, I know She's reveling in the joy that I still make them, I felt it. But with that I felt the loss again...and thought 17 years today she's been gone. No wonder, I'll always remember her for the pancakes, the donuts, and the forever flowing cuppa coffee.

I stop and try to think of everything. I don't want to forget one little morsel...I remember lots, like how she hated bare flower beds in the winter and would put silk and plastic plants in to chase away the dead of winter, or how she had to have every stitch of the laundry done each day, how vain she was when her grays started showing before the money was there to buy more dye, how she loved to smoke and did so until she died, How she would pull covers over you as you slept, when you just felt overwelmed and needed a nap on her couch, truely the most theraputic time for me, But most of all for just being her. She'd be happy to know that and probably is. I miss her.
Norwegian Vafler(Waffles)
6 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup melted butter
3 Tbsp. butter for frying PreparationMix eggs, sugar, and cardamom together in a big bowl. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix these ingredients and beat in sour cream and butter until the batter is smooth. Let the batter sit for about 20 minutes before you being making the waffles. Heat up the iron and brush some of the butter of the surface, you are now ready to make waffles.




Emmy likes waffles too.

2 Left A Love Note :):

Salt Water said...

You forgot the to list the ingredients. We just got a waffle iron. I tried putting frozen raspberries in them. That was okay, but I like them better plan. Have you tried buckwheat? I will try that soon. Our dog Ayla is a bread hound. She loves cornbread and waffles. Thanks.

Salt Water said...

Wow! Time flies. I think I emailed you about the pleasure of these waffles after we tried your receipt. Yet I'd like anyone who finds your site to know that these are the best tasting waffles in the world bar-none. They may also be the deadliest though. I think I actually felt my heart flutter while eating them. The taste is great. The flutter is bad. We will make them for special days. Thanks.