Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Slice of Summer in the park


Over the weekend we threw a party for the oldest of my kids, She was made aware of the party in her honor so she could dress accordingly and help with some preparations, I'm no fool.
We potlucked it for the most part, I brought way to many foot long sub sandwiches and homemade muffin style cup cakes in Raspberry and Chocolate mayonnaise cake with butter cream dollops dotted on top.
I earned the dubious honor of laying claim to the unofficial title of "The Baking Bitch" from an old friend, Hmmmm, perhaps because she smelled the chocolate aroma and couldn't resist, I didn't have any trouble getting rid of those. You know they're good when your grandson thinks he'll get sick if he doesn't stop eating, yet can't throw away the rest because it's too good.
I did some prep work ahead of time, Baked them last week and froze them til the day of, It makes for better flavor and moister, firmer texture in cake, I think.

I did some sleuthing on the net for the band playing at our Slice of Summer concert in the park for the week that I wanted to have Jalana's party, I found them listed and gave them a jingle. Darnell is the lady of the band called Koral Jam (pronounced Coral like the reefs) and I spoke with her personally and she took it from there. Oh my goodness, She was so nice. They went out of their way to make the party so fun. Singing and dancing, Who could have asked for more?
So then I informed all that I could that I'd like to do it in Hawaiian theme and the family did just that. It was fun. 3 hours of party and no house to clean before or afterwards, YaY!

Some of the hi-lights of the party was everyone in a good mood, the sun was shining, it wasn't too hot, and there was good food and live music.
Jalana was in good form as per usual, She can be quite entertaining when she wants to be. I still think she would have made an great stand up comedian. Although banking probably pays better.

Joelle at 8 and half months pregnant danced a graceful and beautiful hula dance for us, She had adoration coming out from everyone. The little girls loved her, The little boys just stood in awe of her and watched, The crowd, I think were amazed at how well she did even being that far along. I even saw the band turn and check her out. She was amazing.
She even got a thumbs up from Joe Fleischmann of St. Josef's Winery here in the Canby area. I've known him for years, because I used to serve him and his family and friends dinner before at the Chez Moustache when I worked there, long before it became an antique store. I've also danced a jig and stomped grapes out at his Winery. That was fun and good food and wine too.
We had friends from the past stop and say hi, I hadn't realized that the concert in the park had been going for 18 years, Mid July - Mid August on Sundays, I don't think I've missed a Summer. So this was a familiar thing for the kids, and now for our grand kids too.
Needless to say, We had fun, I hope our old and new friends of Canby that were there, did as well.

Happy Birthday Jalana.

Slice of Summer 8/3/2008

Click picture above to go to the Web Album

2 Left A Love Note :):

Jeannie said...

Sounds like a wonderful time!

Coloradolady said...

Wow, looks like a fun time was had by all. How about the cupcake recipe?? Those sound heavenly.