Thursday, January 22, 2009

Historic Fort Vancouver, WA


A view from the lookout and guard post, John Mcloughlin's personal view of Mt.Hood way back when.

The carpenters shop

Examples of Items used and made there.

Items from officers quarters, and below is the dining hall for officers.

The Mr's favorite place the Blacksmith shop, To bad it wasn't open. There may be more to follow on that topic. Stay tuned.

The jail and the lookout w/cannons all the way around.



Reenactors dressed in standard dress for the time frame

The kitchen area that cooked all the food for the post and personal. It has great bones but I'd miss my kitchenaid's pretty bad.





Ahhhhh, the sun, It revives my spirit. Could it be any more gorgeous? Really?
This is the Columbia river looking toward Oregon. This is near the historic Fort Vancouver. This is what you would have seen if you were traveling by river to the Hudson bay Trading Post back in 1825, Well, maybe not this sailboat but many others I'm sure. We did a tour there Sunday, That seems so funny to me that we had not gone there before. We only live 25 minutes away.
There's a sobering feeling when you go to a place like that and see the way of life back then, Man, do I appreciate all my things and all my appliances, and my hot water heater. But most of all my indoor plumbing.

It's pretty neat to think about all the famous people that walked the same grounds that you were walking and some actually lived near by. I took a few shots of little vignettes that they painstakingly put together for the public to see and experience.
Sunday when we had our visit it was windy with the wind blowing from the east from the Columbia River Gorge and rarely when that happens is it warm air. I'd say it was maybe 38 and that not including a wind chill. I gotta give this person credit on the sail boat, It had to be frigid out there but they just sailed around like it was 70. It made for a great picture, even though I froze trying to get it.

Posted by Picasa

5 Left A Love Note :):

janeywan said...

Thanks for sharing your tour. I just love visiting places like that. I'm intrigued by how things use to get done. Living back then you had to be a craftsman. Today you need to be a computer wizard. Kind of sad in a way.
So glad some folks work hard on keeping the era alive.

Jeannie said...

I love visiting places like this. I probably would have missed seeing many around here if I hadn't been a volunteer mom on school trips. (The main reason I wanted my twins in the same class - so I didn't have to choose which I'd go with...the teacher fought it like a demon - pulled every trick in the book to keep it from happening but relented finally then enjoyed the experience so much she recommended they stay together for grade 1 as well.)

I love how everything seems made of wood. But tell me - why did they make so many cradles - babies would only fit in them for such a short time - how many today bother with them? Or bassinettes? Or perhaps it was their version of the car seat...

Liliana said...

Great pictures Sweeti, as always.
I thought it was warm...until you mention the temperature...as every day passes by, you are closer to....spring!!!! (kind of...!)


sunshine kisses!

Sweeti said...

Liliana, Thank you,and yes in deed, the pictures were deceiving as far as weather wise. Brrrr.

Jeannie, I think we knew it was here but always had more important trips to make, Most of my photo shoots are opportunistic, I plan to stop along the way to somewhere else.
As for the wood it was all wood and iron, a Blacksmith's dream...and as for the cradles,they did come in many sizes and some rocked and some didn't, I think they allowed the women folk time to do the many tasks in a day, a second set of hands so to speak. When a baby is swaddled in blankets they could be in a cradle longer and rocked by the feet by the fire while sewing or knitting. I'm sure they got their use from them. I have seen cribs also, although not at Fort Vancouver. I'm sure they had them too.

You know the one thing that struck me the most was the amount of light in the different buildings. It's very hard for me to see in a dark room to do any task, but think about it, it was all candle light or lantern, the day we was there and I purposely didn't use flash to give you an eyes view into their world back then. Even as sunny as it was outside, it was pretty dark inside. Here in the Northwest we have a lot of cloudy days. Wood is not reflective. How did they ever get anything done?

Janeywan, Thanks for coming by. The Mr. and I do the cross over between both worlds, He is a Blacksmith, craftsman and Farrier and I do the things via computer that bring these things to you. I have been known to dabble in many old time crafts also.
We would like to draw more young people into this part of life by making it more interesting and maybe giving some intriguing lessons along the way. Both of our grandsons know what if feels like to work in a blacksmith shop and have known the feeling of smacking iron on an anvil. How many kids can say that? Many more need to learn to keep the trade alive.
Then they come and get lessons from me, Cooking, computer, photography, and life's lessons. We would probably do well as teachers, it's more fun though when you have inquiring students that want to know more. That and you have got to make a living and eat too and it's no secret, teaching doesn't pay very well. So we do it as we can.

David Tellez said...

That's exactly how I felt when I walked around Rome. To think, there were generations and generations of cultures before us, living life with the same hopes, fears and dreams as us. And it makes you wonder if they thought about us thinking about them.

Thanks Sweeti for the walk down American History lane! The sun picture is amazing! Thanks for freezing just for us!